Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Girl With the New Green Thumb

Well, my lovely wife has finally did it - She joined a Garden Club and got interested in growing herbs and vegetables. After 3 unsuccessful attempts of starting a garden - she finally got it on the 4th try. - I will let her explain it to you because besides not being able to cook, I have no idea of how to grow food. This is what she put in an email to some of her friends here in Costa Rica:

For those of you Nay-Sayers, my thumb is getting greener!!!! Yeah!

These were just taken this week of my new raised garden. The first time ever I have grown much, and I lost the last 3 gardens for various reasons - - - -bad soil, bad drainage and bad shade - - - -but after researching raised beds and a lot of advice from experienced ones, I came up  with this plan.

Look at the difference in the beds of lettuces, they were taken 3 days apart and I think they are growing about an inch a day!! They sell really bad soil here, so you have to get real creative and just about make your own. I used half soil and half coffee shells in the one on the left and then they ran out of the coffee things, so the bigger one on the right is 1/3 soil, 1/3
charcoal and 1/3 rice shells - who knew!!!!!
  Th
This is the curb view to the garden. It is made of bambo poles with a 50% sun shade over the structure. The two tables you see are where Stef is getting her plants into the soil

She can thank Pete, Gerald & crew and the various suppliers for the new walk to the area, the new sod on each side of the walk, and the new plants that are present.




These are some of the plants she planted only a couple of weeks ago.


Ms. "Green Thumb" coming back to the house after a long day in the garden :-)



Anyway, I'm sure she will keep you all informed of the progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment