Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Our New Neighbor That Lives in Trees

Josette and Vincent are staying in our apartment until their container arrives so they can move into their new home here in Hacienda Atenas. One day last week as they were driving back, they ran across this mangy animal that was no further than 20' to the entrance of our property. It is a Costa Rican Two-Toed Sloth that they were able to get a couple of pictures of him - again, right by my driveway.
According to what I have read, these critters are supposed to live in the tropical rain forest areas. It is a long way from home, but must have heard about the great weather in Atenas. Fortunately, they eat leaves and are not dangerous, so I guess he can stay around here because from the looks of his claws I really don't want to force it to leave.

For more information on the Two-Toed Sloth of Costa Rica - Just go to this link:


2 comments:

  1. Can you tell me what ultimately happened to this sloth? It's kind of disturbing to see it crawling along a gutter ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana - from what I learned, they come down from the trees once a week to do their thing and then back up into the tree. As far as I know, he is still there up in the trees somewhere on the empty lot next to mine.

    ReplyDelete